Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome! Here at Longfield Primary School, we are extremely proud of the immense cultural capital brought by our students, parents and staff. Over 38 different languages are spoken throughout the school and we know that only by working TOGETHER we will achieve our full potential!
ஒன்றாய் Împreună साथ-साथ Juntos Вместе
Insieme معا 一起 కలిసి Razem एक साथ Kartu
ایک Wada Birlikte Together একসঙ্গে همراه එකට
एकत्र સાથે Zusammen Bashkë Ansanm
Samen Заедно Разом Koos ഒരുമിച്ച് پێکهێنان, پێکهوه, پێکهێناو
EAL Parent Ambassadors
Our team of highly skilled Parent Ambassadors provide an opportunity for parents and pupils to be fully included in school activities from the beginning of their time with us at Longfield. The team is made up of a mixture of experienced teachers and teaching assistants, all of whom offer interpreting and translation support in a range of languages spoken within our community.
The languages spoken by our parent ambassadors are: English, French, Gujarati, Hindi, Italian, Romanian, Spanish and Urdu.
The parent ambassador team is passionate about celebrating the diverse range of languages spoken within Longfield School. Our mission is to work together in order to ensure that young learners achieve their best. We plan activities for pupils to explore different ways of communicating and build links between the languages that we speak. Through working closely with class teachers and creating a support network for parents, the parent ambassador team work hard to ensure that pupils new to speaking English quickly become confident and engaged learners, feeling welcomed, safe and immersed into the Longfield learning environment.
Dear parents and carers, please see below a list of bi-lingual booklets that will help with your child's transition through their first days at Longfield
Below please see a list of useful websites that will sustain you further in your task to support your children. If you would like any further information, please contact us by phoning or emailing the school office.
Websites containing visual resources:
- A website that contains a few basic words and phrases in English. - http://www.primaryresources.co.uk
- A brilliant website with plenty of colourful, exciting pictures to enhance learning of English (needs subscription). - https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/english-as-an-additional-language-eal/eal-non-verbal-resources-communication/eal-non-verbal-resource-communication-visual-timetable
- A website that promotes the “Language of the month”. Explore the website to find useful words, phrases and videos of children speaking different languages in a British school. - https://www.newburyparkschool.net/lotm/index.html
- A fantastic website that gives suggestions of useful activities to do at home with children.(once one the website, click on the Resources for EAL Learners at Home_Glasgow EAL tab to see suggestions.) - https://www.ealhighland.org.uk/activities-to-do-at-home-for-primary-children/
- A good website that offers dual language flashcards for children (once on the website, tap on the Dual Language tab to explore all the resources, then click on the Free Download button to print or see the resources). - https://littleowlsresources.com/
Websites with free online books, videos and games:
- A website with activities for children to support the learning of English( games, animated stories, songs) - https://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/
- An excellent site with dual language traditional tales and short stories from around the world. The stories can be read and listened to online, or downloaded. - https://worldstories.org.uk/
- Online books for children in many languages. - http://en.childrenslibrary.org/
- Stories with visuals and audio. Many stories are interactive. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/stories
- Bilingual fairytales for children (English, French, Italian, Spanish, German) - https://www.thefablecottage.com/
Amazing online dictionaries for children
- A basic dictionary, that helps children to associate words and pictures. - http://www.esolhelp.com/online-picture-dictionary.html
- An online Thesaurus for children, structured into different areas. - https://kids.wordsmyth.net/we/
- A fantastic online dictionary that comprises a variety of languages, as well as pictures for words. - https://www.enchantedlearning.com/dictionary.html
- An online dictionary with pictures, that focuses on Maths concepts -http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/
- An online picture dictionary that focuses on Space! - https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/dictionary/index.html