Longfield Primary School
Learning Together, Achieving Forever
School Governors’ introduction
Welcome to the Longfield Primary School Governors’ Homepage. Here you will find information about the Governors for the school, our activities and responsibilities.
We believe a successful Governing Body works best when it has a close working relationship between all members of the school community and as such the membership of your Governing Body is made up of parents, staff, local residents, educators, former pupils and members of the local authority working together to secure the best possible education for children attending the school
The Governing body comprises:
- The Headteacher
- 2 Parent Governors, (elected by the parents)
- 1 Staff Governor (elected by staff)
- 1 LA Governor (nominated by the main political parties on the Council)
- 9 Co Opted Governors ( selected by GB members on the basis of skills or experience relevant to the requirements of Longfield Primary School and the Governing Body )
Roles & Responsibilities
- The Governing Body has a collective, legal responsibility for the effective management of the school, acting within a framework established by national legislation and the agreed policies of the schools. Its main aim is to maintain and improve the quality of education and the standards of achievement at the schools.
- Governors are volunteers and as such are not paid for their work. They sometimes take time off from their normal work to visit the school or attend meetings. The majority of meetings are held in the evenings in school.
- Governors are not expected to take detailed decisions about the day-to-day running of the school; that is the responsibility of the Headteacher, although the Headteacher will discuss various aspects of school life with the Governors. The partnership between the Headteacher, staff, Governors and parents determines how well the school functions. Parent Governors are the parents’ voice on the Governing Body and are always happy to help parents in their approach to the schools.
- If you would like to know more about becoming a Governor, please visit the School Governor pages on the Harrow council website, GovernorNet, a website for governors run by the Department for Children Schools and Families or contact the Chair of Governors through the school office.
Current Longfield Primary School Governors
- Pam Virdee
- Ragi Khimasia
- Vikas Valand
- Saamia Mohammed – Teacher and Year group leader
- Purav Rathod
- Liz Whitcombe - Chair
- Stephen Pidgeon - Vice chair
- Dipak Umeria
- Neil Enright
- Suzy Cantlay
- Hayley Kirwin
- Dareen Zakaria
- Alex Rusby
- Majella McElwee
Chair of Governors